Saturday, December 05, 2015

Mass Market Paperback Editions

Next up are my mass market paperback editions.
As paperbacks are not as collectible (except of course for reading copies...lol) or as interesting as hardcovers, I am not taking them all down for a layout shoot like I did for the hardcovers. 
 My Paperbacks are not as up to snuff as my Hardcovers are. 
I have many of the early ones but am missing many of his newest works.
But, within the paperbacks I do have, there are some very interesting ones.
Like the editions featured in this photo

Here I have selected a few to feature.  For example, there's the nice set of matching cover designs for the first four Dark Tower Novels
I also have some of the original Bachman Paperbacks here, including the movie tie-in edition for The Running Man.   I also, of course, have The Bachman Books paperback that does contain Rage.  And, hiding on the right, is also a copy of The Mist stand alone movie tie-in.

But by far, the most interesting paperbacks I have are the two (black and white covered) True First Editions of Firestarter, that were artificially created as limited editions because of an error at the printers.  Those are the two on the left that have the by-line From the Author of "The Dead Zone".

When the publishers went to press for the novel, they did a "test print run" of just 25,000 copies with those covers.  When they were satisfied that the print run was fine, they then set up to do the actual 1st edition run of 2,000,000 copies.  These covers had the by-line From the Author of "The Dead Zone" and "Cujo.

However, the fellow setting up the plate for the copy right page scratched of the number 1, thereby showing this print run as the second edition when it should have been the First.
With this error, he accidentally created a limited first edition of Firestarter in paperback.  To the bane of all us "Completists" out there, who have to have the first edition of everything!!!
For the full story, refer the November 1986 edition of Castle Rock the Stephen King Newsletter.

There have been many different designs and covers for all of Kings books in paperback.  I mean, think about it, only one of his novels (Rage) has been taken out of print.  That means they need a lot of covers... It would be an extremely daunting task to collect ALL of them...

Let's not forget The Green Mile serial set.

And finally, we all remember The Green Mile six part series.  I bought each one as they were released monthly.
And later, I found this cool collected boxed set that came with an added gift.  It was a Green Mile screen saver program for computers.  I did have it installed on and older platform on my home computer and I put it on my computer at work.  It was pretty cool.  Does not work on the newer systems and platforms of today however.  Wonder if anyone could up date it???



2 comments:

  1. Tim, I'm definitely enjoying the site thus far. Congrats on it & of course, on your terrific collection. I wish mine were only half as impressive!
    Actually, since I've been collecting King novels & related memorabilia since 1976 ( with my first addition to it being the movie tie in paperback version of CARRIE ) when I was 15, I think my collection might be be a lot closer to being as extensive as yours if I didn't allow myself to get so distracted by the other things that I've collected ( & in many cases continue to collect ) over the years. Like comic books, action figures, old monster magazines, DVDs & now blu rays, boxing memorabilia... I blame it on my ADHD. LOL. I just like & enjoy too many things & want it all, but the "disposable income" dollar can only go in so many directions, you know?
    No complaints though, I love of my collections as they are.
    And, I've put a fair amount of time & focus on my King collection over the years. With my current focus being on building up my collection of movie tie in paperbacks. Which, was well represented by the earlier novels & their film adaptions, but then stopped at the mid '80s stuff as I just drifted away from buying any King paperbacks at all because I was purchasing & reading everything in hardcover.
    But, as an extension of a renewed in collecting horror & sci fi movie novelizations & movie tie in paperbacks in general, I became aware of how lacking my King related subset was after 1985 or so. So, I've been filling in the gaps & having fun doing it.
    In fact, that's how I happened across your site. On a web search for them.

    Well, keep up the great work & I'm sure I'll be commenting again real soon.
    Peace.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim, and Thanks for your comments.
      Sounds like you keep yourself pretty busy with collecting. I've been a collector at heart since a young age as well. But when I found King in my early twenties, well it was nothing else BUT King...lol
      I am quite proud of my "little hobby" and am enjoying sharing it with other fans.
      I hope everyone is enjoying it as well and maybe seeing some interesting "Things King"...

      Delete